Acceptable Use Policy (or Responsible Use Policy)
The CAC School Board grants authorized users the privilege to use CAC computers and network to access the Internet for information gathering, communication, and technology integration in support of the CAC curriculum. Should a conflict arise between personal use and educational use of the Internet or computer equipment, priority will always be given for educational use. CAC Information Services developed the following responsible user agreements as a guide.
Any digital communication/computing device, hardware or software component of information, media and communication technology (including social networking) installed, in use or emerging in relation to the CAC community must be: Legal, Appropriate, Responsible and Kind. “LARK”
- Legal: illegally copied or downloaded software, music, video or games may not be used on any computer at CAC including Laptops issued to CAC Students.
- Appropriate: only appropriate words and images are used, viewed or heard. Any material you would not show to your grandmother, parents, principal or a 1st grader is a good sign of inappropriateness.
- Responsibility: due care and attention will be taken with all hardware, system settings (including shared computer screen savers or system files,) software etc. to prevent damage or misuse.
- Kind: the rights / feelings of others are in no way treaded upon by the use of digital devices.
- Please understand email and use of any other CAC electronic information, learning, communication and collaboration systems and equipment on and off the CAC campus may be monitored at any time by designated staff to ensure appropriate use. In addition, monitoring is done for record keeping, maintenance, and security purposes to follow up on administrative task and concerns. For Apps like Google and TurnItIn, we follow the security and privacy policies as stated in each system for their users.
- It is essential the user accesses the Internet in a responsible manner and maintains their privacy and that of Cairo American College Internet accounts. Be safe, do not share full name or any personal or family information online. Promotional images used by CAC should not include names or other identifying data.
- Each user is responsible for the appropriateness and content of material sent, received or shared under his/her user accounts. Hate mail, harassment, discriminatory remarks, bullying, spamming and other antisocial behaviors are expressly prohibited.
- It is the responsibility of the each user to secure all passwords and equipment assigned to them by CAC so access by non-authorized individuals or from non-authorized terminals will not occur. When noticed, please report unsecure user information and equipment immediately. Users shall not intentionally obtain copies of passwords, access/modify files or other data belonging to other users, misrepresent other users on the Internet or access school systems, data and equipment without proper permission.
- The user is responsible for making sure all files, including e-mail, sent and in boxed, online posting and texting do not contain pornographic or inappropriate information. Users may not use the Internet to access any pornographic material or inappropriate files particularly materials offensive to our host country.
- All forms of hacking and access to Hackers’ sites is forbidden.
- The user must use all hardware and software responsibly, follow all computer lab rules, classroom and school behavior rules, host country laws and obey supervisors in all access areas. The network, laptops or labs may not be used for time wasteful or frivolous purposes during the school day including but not limited to playing games, file share sites, participating in chat programs and social networking, unless they are teacher-led activities.
- Care and security of family owned devices are the sole responsibility of the user.
The CAC Mission, Beliefs and Objectives will guide Internet content filtering, technology and use. This document may be adjusted at any time to address emerging uses of technology. Our website version is most accurate.
Violation of this policy will be considered a violation of the CAC Code of Conduct or appropriate behavior with disciplinary measure consistent with those outlined in the Student/Parent /Employee handbooks. Any accidental access to inappropriate material should be reported to the closest supervising faculty immediately.
We (Student, Parent and Staff) have read the above policy and guidelines. By our enrollment in CAC and/or usage of CAC digital tools, network and Internet access, we agree to be responsible for and abide by this agreement